5 Questions you need to ask a Blinds expert before Installation
Our customers have had a lot of questions recently, so over the next 5 weeks we’ve put together the answers you have been looking for when it comes to your window covering decisions. Whether you have a JHS Install or not, it’s great to know:
Question 1: Which type of Blinds are best for Wet areas?
If you’re going to spend the money to refresh the whole home then you need to research and find out which Blinds are best suited for wet areas as well as other rooms in your home. Let’s start with your Bathrooms. The one (or second) room in the house where you can get away from it all. Your sanctuary, your relaxation spot. Choosing the right Blind can have a mental effect on the home owner. When your home looks great, you feel great.
i) Aluminium Venetians – These blinds add a modern twist with their sleek straight lines. They’re available in many colours and because they are heavy metal, they are rust resistant. Venetians also make it easy for you to control the light and privacy in your home with wand control
ii) Plantation Shutters – These can resist heat and moisture well. Check with your Blinds expert which materials they use and the warranty included. JHS Blinds and Screens offer a 20 year warranty on Plantation Shutters, which are highly durable and will not warp, crack or chip.
iii) Roller Blinds – These blinds can make great window coverings for Bathrooms, provided the right fabric is chosen. The same applies for Vertical Blinds. They can be great privacy and light control Window coverings depending on the chosen fabric. Ask your preferred Blind Installer for Acrylic Coated fabric. These fabrics are extremely durable and wont absorb moisture.
Check back with us next week for more questions and helpful tips.
Need extra help? Contact JHS Blinds & Screens today on 0451 000 547
N.B – Even though the following points seem funny, teaching your kids about Stranger Danger is very important and should be taken very seriously.
- Never accept lollies or toys from strangers (Yes, you could drill it into their brains from the age of 2 but did you know In Australia, an estimated 20,000 children are reported missing every year??
- Never agree to walk off with ANYONE just because they have an adorable black and white puppy they’re just dying to show you! These days Pet Stores are full of them – Get Mummy and Daddy to take you there for a friendly pat.
- Make sure you are alongside an alert and recognizable adult, at all times. Don’t let Mummy get distracted by posing for a Selfie for her Instagram account, because before you know it, **Puff**, you’re gone!
- Never go to a public bathroom on your own. Mummy or Daddy will need to help you squat and not sit…. They’re sick of viral infections contaminating their homes, which means you miss out on day-care, and, trust me Mum’s not going to put up with that!
- Do not isolate yourself in the corner when visiting any children Play Centres. Pretty much like a Truck Driver looking into his side mirror…. If you can’t see them, they can’t see you! We mean your Mum and Dad… not the Truck Driver… got it?
- When your Mum wants you to wear a brightly coloured, embarrassing headband, that makes you stand out in a crowd, then you make sure you wear it proud!
- Even the safest zones can be the most targeted areas, like your front yard. Always play in an area where your parents can see you and never approach a stranger that comes into the yard. We know Daddy has high tech, high resolution, motion sense cameras but material things can always be replaced. You are irreplaceable.
- Never answer the door when the bell rings – Instead, climb onto the couch like you always do, and yell from a closed window “Smile!!” Then point to your daddy’s high tech, high resolution, motion sense camera.
- Never invite Strangers into your home. Even if they are asking for help because their car broke down. Again, climb onto the couch, yell out “You’re in luck!” By now Dad has stormed out of the house with a screwdriver in his hand, while your screaming out “Dad’s a mechanic!!”
You are never too old or too young to learn and preach Stranger Danger. Take it seriously and pass these messages along to keep our kids safe…. Do your kids know?
5 Things about Security doors you may not have known
- Stainless steel mesh on a security door come in different types of grades – with grade 304 being the less expensive mesh which is all well and done for your pocket but will suffer severe corrosion over time.
Grade 316 has excellent corrosion resistance. This is what JHS Blinds and Screens use (Only the best of course). Not only is it the best quality, but you’ll also benefit from the strength of the door’s mesh. Discouraging burglars from even thinking about breaking in.
2. Most of us know Security doors that have passed Australian standards come with a Triple lock mechanism. But did you know the actual benefit this has for the door, and for your safety, is something that you wouldn’t even think about?
So, the first thing that comes to mind when you visualise an intruder, is kicking. We all want to kick doors down, especially if your 5-year-old has locked herself in her room. But, if you were to have a door with a single lock cylinder kicked in by an intruder, then most likely the door would be wrenched back. Having that triple lock mechanism may prevent the bottom or top of the door to be kicked in, therefore making the unwelcome visitor think twice about what they’re doing.
3. When you’re shopping around for quotes there’s a difference in doors when you mention the word ‘security’. A Barrier door is less expensive and made with a single lock cylinder which means it will hold up less in an intruder situation.
A Screen door or Fly door is mainly used for bug control and is fine if you’re not too fussed about locks. These come standard with a latch.
4. When you think of Security door, you’re probably imaging a thick, bulky, unattractive entry door that would obscure the front of your home, making it look like a gaol. Not the case. In fact, Security doors have always been designed with the home owner in mind. You can showcase your newly renovated home with plain mesh front entry hinged doors. Modernising the appearance and adding high quality security for your family.
P.S don’t forget the triple lock.
5. Doggy Doors: We’ve had customers contact us and ask us for help when it comes to their four-legged pals.
If your pet is part of the family routine, then you must cater for them also. Surprisingly, many consumers don’t know that doggy doors even exist. They come in 3 sizes – small, medium and large. On the other hand, make sure you have a fenced yard and that your dog is well behaved enough to not escape when left unattended.
Struggling with your dogs? Read our article on how you can keep your dogs from destroying your blinds
Bet you didn’t know at least one of these important points? If you would like further information call us today to go over various options, so you can benefit from security at its best from JHS.
How to save money and have Best Quality Window furnishings with our Top 3 Blinds choice of 2018
These days with the trend of our Economy it’s important we take a step back and have a look at the bigger picture – Our Windows
- Roller Blinds – Either Motorised or chain operated, Double or Single, these window furnishings have had a massive attraction from our modern-day families, couples and everyone in between. Living a busy lifestyle means you need something that’s easy to maintain and use. Single Blockout Roller Blinds can prevent heat from entering the room. Being a solid piece of fabric without any slats or gaps in between like Venetians, Roller Blinds stop heat flowing onto your furniture and the floor. So, if they no longer heat up, then it won’t heat up the air.
- Vertical Blinds – When you’re in the property game and an investor then Verticals is the best road to follow through when assisting in making your Tenant comfortable. With added privacy and a touch of colour these Blinds are never a disappointment. Most importantly, they’re affordable and won’t exceed your budget. New and Improved designs are also available with Chainless Bottom Weights which means your Verticals will look fresh all year round with no chains to break. This is peace of mind especially if you have indoor pets or young children.
- Venetian Blinds – Either Timber or Aluminium, Venetian Blinds have been a favourite for JHS customers so far in 2018. Timber Venetians are completely washable, adding the final look for any Bathroom, Kitchen or Ensuite. Aluminium Venetians are great for anyone wanting to keep a straight forward look along with privacy and some sunlight.
Whatever the look you’re wanting, JHS Blinds and Screens will help you make the right choice for each room at the right price.
If you’re a pet owner who keeps their dogs inside the home, then you’re probably questioning yourself – Should I get rid of the Dog or remove my Blinds?
The answer is simple…
You can keep both.
Here’s how to make the right choice for your indoor furry friend by having the right home improvement solution for your window coverings.
- ‘’When my dog senses someone or something outside, he goes crazy and destroys my Blinds”.
Let’s face it, your dog only sees Blinds as an obstruction to what he wants to see outside the window. He will jump, bite and tear what ever is in his view, determined to see the mail man or the neighbour’s children coming home from school
Solution: Keep your Blinds raised half way, so your dog can have some sight through the window without damaging your only means of privacy. We recommend Roller Blinds, Venetians or even Vertical Shades. With either of these Blinds you’re able to slide them across or pull them up so there is no barrier between your dog or the window.
- “We have a puppy, she chews on EVERYTHING!”
We agree with you, they are the cutest – but only when they’re sleeping. Just like babies, puppies can teeth as well. In saying this, your puppy will find anything they can grip their teeth into for pain relief or comfort, whether it be shoes, clothes or even your Blinds.
Solution: Discourage your pet from gnawing on the Blinds by spraying your Timber Slats with a No-Chew Bitter Taste spray. (Available at Pet Stores). Your pets will regret the day they messed with the Window shades. Another solution is to think ahead with Renovations. JHS Blinds and Screens recommend any type of Window Coverings that you can move across or pull up out of their way. Keeping your stress levels down and saving you money.
- “When we’re about to leave the house, our Dog freaks out and ruins everything”
Some Dogs eat doors, carpets and can tear up anything hanging from your Windows. This may seem like normal behaviour but if your dog panics or is clingy when you leave, then they may be suffering from ‘separation anxiety’.
Solution: Ignore that Poodle! Yes, it may seem harsh and the first thing that you’re dying to do is cuddle and kiss that pooch when you arrive home, but, it’s these actions you’re doing that’s ‘feeding’ your four-legged-friend to remain a destroyer.
So, ignore them 10 minutes before you leave the house and 10 minutes after you come home. This helps keep your dog settled and the mood calm. And ‘wataya’ know? Your Blinds, Screens and the mesh on your Security Doors remain in one piece.
During your next JHS Blinds & Screens consultation, we’ll take the time to get to know your lifestyle habits so you can get the most out of your Blinds and remain satisfied with the Window covering choices you make.
Well, Here it is! JHS’ First Personal Blog. We cannot stress enough how crucial it is to look after the important things in life.
Being a Family owned and operated business we put our customers first, when it comes to safety, comfort and security – one of the reasons why our clients trust us so much. It’s the time we take with our consultations that make our customers feel like a priority and not just a number. Larger companies tend to look after the big guys and forget about the smaller jobs, nevertheless, JHS does both.
The JHS Family is a family of 4. Yep! No pets, just us.
Wondering why you get emails at 11pm at night? Doubt I’ll answer your calls to chat to you about our services, after hours? Don’t wonder or doubt anything. The after hour phone calls is proof that JHS give our clients the service they deserve. The 11pm emails, on the other hand, are because my kids come first. Remember, I’m still a mum, which means bedtime routines and time away from the PC.
This is probably the first question on everyone’s lips (Mostly my partners) “What do you do all day??”
Let me break it down for you all. I don’t stop. From the 6.30am alarm clock that my kids have become I know it’s time to get up and tackle another day full of chores, errands, favours, and most importantly JHS.
The Kettle boils, the JHS PC switches on and the constant running after the little ones is a must!
Finally, a few hours later the kids are dropped off at school, then it’s off to the Supermarket. Dinner is prepared before lunchtime, meanwhile email notifications, messages and calls are flooding in in the background.
Orders are taken and picked up, accounts up to date, customer service calls and emails back and forth. Not to mention Social Media! Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Oh wait! Our new online chat added to my list.
Me? Complaining? Not a bit. I love what I do and love what JHS Blinds and Screens can offer for you. Reliability, trust and the convenience of never having to wait for an answer to your question.
So, after all this is done, or somewhat slowing down towards the end of the day, I do the School run, afternoon tea, showers and play time with my kids.
Bedtime is soon and quiet time kicks in. No Tv, No IPads, and hopefully no screaming! Keep in mind JHS Blinds and Screens is still awake!
Kids fall asleep – but before I stub my toe on a piece of Leggo and use curse words that unfortunately my daughter has picked up, I need to clear up the toys and stack the dishwasher.
Keep in mind JHS Blinds and Screens is still awake and the 11pm emails have now started. Quotes are being emailed and Invoices are organised.
There you have it! I do all these things daily and wouldn’t have it any other way.
So the next time you have a question about your Blinds, Shutters, Doors and Security Screens, give me a call.
JHS – It’s a Family Thing
Motorised Roller Blinds are the must-have products for the savvy smart home owner who wants to maximize their energy savings. The ability to control your shades with a smart phone, or have them automatically open or close based on timers is not only a cool feature for your home, but it saves time and energy by using or defending against the sun’s rays.
Motorised Roller Blinds can be part of a complete home makeover, or they can be added to one room at a time, as your budget or needs require. One of the best advantages about automatic shades is that you can be in control of how each room can be programmed. Depending on how the room is used can determine the use of the Roller Blind. Here are a few great examples on how automated window treatments can enhance different rooms.
When you have a busy schedule, it makes it hard to wake up in the morning, especially when the bedroom blinds are keeping the room dark. Motorised Blinds can be programmed to automatically open when your alarm goes off, or, if you don’t need to wake at a specific time. If you need the blinds closed when you’re getting dressed, you can program them to automatically give you privacy when you exit the shower.
You can use the sun to warm your living room in the morning, and insulate it in the evening, by setting your Motorised Blinds to automatically open when the sun is shining on one side of the house, and close when the sun has moved away. In today’s busy lifestyle, having Motorised shades that can be programmed to close towards the end of the day without you having to be home, is privacy and efficiency at its best.
The dining room is a great place to have Motorised Window Shades. Nothing more frustrating than the setting sun blinding you while you’re trying to enjoy a meal with your family. Set your dining room Shades to close at dinner time. They can open automatically an hour later if you like, or just stay closed for the night.
If you have a dedicated home theatre room, you don’t want any sun washing out the picture on your projection screen or mega sized flat screen TV. Motorised Roller Blinds can be used to make movie time a more enjoyable experience.
P.S – Popcorn Not Included
High-hallways, and special windows
Many modern (and classic too) homes feature windows in high, out of the way places. These are nice design features, especially if they capture the morning sun. But they can also be impossible to manage with Blind Chords. In the absence of a ladder, Motorised Roller Blinds are not only the best, but are also the only way you can control the light from those high and out-of-the-way windows.
In today’s busy lifestyle we seem to be speeding through the details to get a straight answer. JHS’ frequently asked questions have all the answers you need; to find out more simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with your enquiry.
1. Which type of Blinds and Screens do you offer?
All Indoor window coverings including Curtains and Exterior Zip-Screens. We Supply and Install Plantation Shutters, while specialising in Motorised Roller Blinds for both Installations and Control Programming. Furthermore, we offer you our Custom Made Security Doors and Flyscreens with optional upgraded Stainless Steel Mesh at discounted prices.
2. When will you Install once a deposit is placed?
Manufacturing will not begin on your order until a deposit has been received. We like to advise that a general lead time of ten (10) days is to be expected.
If the order is completed before the general lead time then our JHS office will contact you and organise time for Installation. If for some unexpected reason your order has exceeded the ten (10) day lead time we will still be in touch to advise of any updates and delays.
3. Should I choose to go ahead, how much Deposit is needed?
When the job has been accepted by the customer, a 50% Deposit is required and Balance paid on Installation.
4. Which forms of Payment do you accept?
Credit Cards – MasterCard, Visa & American Express. You can make a phone payment or onsite after installation.
Direct Deposit – You can perform a bank transfer via your online banking institution or over the counter at your local branch. This form of payment may experience a few days delay during the transfer between banks.
5. What is the warranty of your products?
Most parts and working mechanisms have a one year warranty.
6. Can I cancel my order?
If you have placed your order and unfortunately need to cancel, this can only be done within 24 hours of the order being placed (the next business day). If you do not contact JHS within this time the deposit placed is non-refundable.
7. Does JHS charge any call out Fees?
No we do not. Our Appointments for a Measure and Quote are Free.
If JHS is required for a service call we will come to you at no charge, however, if the product has past the Warranty date then we will advise the customer how much the cost will be to repair or replace the item. The final decision is the customer’s choice.
8. Does JHS offer the option of Supply only?
Yes we do. We can deliver to you at no extra cost or pickup is available through appointment only.
According to the ACCC regulation and statistics*, between one and two children die in Australian homes every year as a result of non-compliant corded blinds and curtains.
Being a family owned and operated business we understand the importance of Child Safety regulation when it comes to Blinds and loose cords. JHS has taken the time to prepare a safety checklist for anyone who is concerned.
A how-to-guide in keeping your kids safe from loose Blind cords in Regulation with Australian Law according to the ACCC.
- When choosing your new set of Indoor Blinds, look for cordless or secure cord style Blinds (Motorisation)
- As per regulation, it is important to make sure cots, beds, highchairs and playpens are placed away from blind or curtain cords. Ensure inaccessible to infants at all times.
- Children like to climb furniture and look for adventure. All cords throughout the house should be secured and out of reach of children. You can purchase cord Cleats from JHS via email at email@example.com. Contact us today!
- When installing your new blinds make sure the installer has secured any loose or looped cords. Do not leave them hanging down. JHS never leaves a job until this is done!
- Accidental strangulation can happen very quickly. Never leave children alone in rooms where cords are unsecured if you’re visiting someone’s home. Not even for a short while.
- Always fix tie-downs and tension devices firmly to the wall or window-frame. Ensure children are not able to remove them. Never use materials that can’t support a significant load. Whether it is double-sided tape or glue.
- If you are living in a rental property, seek help from your landlord or agent to ensure cords and chains are out of reach and withing Australian regulation.
*The above information was supplied by the Australian product safety government website. The statistics were taken from June 2016.
How many times have you been stuck on hold to Book a Measure and Quote, yet been made to complete another feedback survey over the phone? Now you can book your next Measure online with JHS Blinds and Screens, plus, we don’t need the Feedback; we already know how good we are.
All you have to do is fill in a few details and JHS Blinds will take care of the rest..
Upon our visits, you’ll now be able to speak to a Licensed Technician who will answer any questions you have, while offering you the best solution for your Home Improvement needs.
We also offer FREE Estimated Quotations upon viewing your Building Plans, which means that, you also benefit from saving time.
Anyone who knows JHS Blinds and Screens will tell you that we never fail to satisfy our customers Home Improvement expectations. Just like we Protect our loved ones, we value the importance of Protecting your Family.
Whether it be from prowling eyes to uninvited guests, JHS Blinds and Screens have been servicing the Sydney area for more than 10 years with attention to one thing – Quality.
Up until recently, we combined our Business and Family lifestyle to bring you a dedicated, honest Husband and Wife Team. In saying this, many of our customers have already experienced the advantage of personal customer service, honesty and reliability.
We’ve had many return customers from previous Blinds that we’ve installed, which shows the trust we have built over the years with all our Clients.